Sunday, September 16, 2007

This land was made for you and me

Since more than a month I heard rumors of goin’ to Texas and finally that's where I am: Houston, Texas.
Comin’ from
San Francisco, we took the long way to Houston to avoid the heat wave covering the central and west USA. It was a 2400 mile (3860 km) car trip through Nevada, Utah, Wyoming, Colorado, Kansas, Oklahoma, and finally Texas.
It was a wonderful trip.
I really felt like W
oody Guthrie travelin’ the mighty hard road …

As I was walking a ribbon of highway
I saw above me an endless skyway
I saw below me a golden valley
This land was made for you and me

I've roamed and rambled and I've followed my footsteps
To the sparkling sands of he
r diamond deserts
And all around me a voice was sounding
This land was made for you and me

The sun comes shining as I was strolling
The wheat fields waving and the dust clouds rolling
The fog was lifting a voice come chanting
This land was made for y
ou and me

As I was walkin' - I saw a sign there
And that sign said - no tress passin'
But on the other side... it didn't say nothin!
Now that side was made for you
and me!

When we finally reached Houston, the first thing we did was trying out for the Rice Baseball team. I would have done OK if the bats had been smaller and if I didn’t keep falling into the love. Ran the bases pretty well though, the fielder’s didn’t tag me out once.