Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Leuven Town Hall

On my last day in Belgium I visited the Town Hall in Leuven. The harmonious dimensions and rich decoration of the walls make the of the town hall a shrine of medieval splendor. The first stone was laid in 1439, the designer was the architect Sulpitius Van der Vorst. He died shortly afterwards and architect Keldermans continued his work. When Keldermans died in 1445 a third architect, Mathijs de Layens, continued the construction from 1447 until 1468. It was Mathijs de Layens who gave the flamboyant Gothic look to the building. He is therefore also considered the creator of the town hall. 

Well ... this was my last day in my home country, Belgium. I came to Leuven to meet Joeri, who will take me to ... another continent. Come and see soon ... on this very same blog.

Goodbye Belgium ... I hope to be back next year on 09.09.09